Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Murder!!!!!

Murder!!!!!

Ok! I have read a lot of blogs today and I'm finally getting caught up on all of this reading/writing. My final evaluation of other peoples thoughts on rhetoric are, that its dumb, or that its bullshit or not useful. I COULDN'T DISAGREE MORE!!! I really believe that being able to understand and recognize it in your own life could be one of the most useful tools that anyone could take from an english class. I really enjoyed the murder scene analogy but I'm going to do my own example of rhetoric just so I can apply it to my own life and prove how valuable it can be. 

Scenario: 
A meeting with universal studio head, to talk about an upcoming feature, that they are searching for someone to direct it. 

Now how do you attack this situation and how do you use rhetoric to help you land this gig? 
First you identify what kind of person the studio head is and you go from there (knowing your audience). In a situation where the stakes are high and you're so close to your dream job you have to carefully think and select every word that comes out of your mouth, now the brain is an amazing thing and is doing this in milliseconds but it is extremely important. If you went into an interview like this and let everything that came to your mind out of your mouth you could be portrayed as something you didn't want to be portrayed as. In a situation like this you are in competition with probably 100 different people and you have to convince this man or woman that you are the person that will solve all there problems and win them an academy award. Without being able to sell yourself, without choosing your words wisely, without knowing your audience you will never be able to land this gig and rhetoric plays into all of those things. 

Now thats how I see and how I have come to understand rhetoric so if I'm way off just let me know and ill see what else I can take from it.    :)

No comments:

Post a Comment