Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The compare/contrast of the artist statement.

The compare /contrast of the artist statement.

I think artist statements are kinda weird in there very nature. Artist talk about there work and what motivates them to do this work or what the work is about. I find that odd and unnecessary. People should be able to see those thing in your work. The artist shouldn't have to tell me what he is about and what drives him because if its good passionate art I should be able to tell from the paints and canvas or the photo of film. Thats just my personal opinion on what I know of artist statements right now. 
Now to the homework, I looked at two modern painters with 2 extremely different artists statements so it was fun to look at the two side by side. The first piece was a lady named LEANNE VENIER, she approached art in an interesting way. She approached it from an phycological aspect, I really liked this because I have never really heard of anyone directly using  phycological research as an inspiration for her paintings, she the work of Carl Jung to inspire her, so that was new and cool. What I didn't like is that she is a little to over the top hippie healing ways, she's a little crazy and I don't disagree with her I believe in all of that stuff but she is just a little to over the top. 

The next artist is did similar and way different all at the sometime. His name is Mike Kelley and his artist statement was all about using mathematic equations from ancient Egypt and Greece and make them into organic form. Like Leanne, Mike is a little cooky but it seems as though he is truly passionate about what he does and I think that is something we all can appreciate.

http://www.leannevenier.com/mbr_statement.php#.VWYqrGBH1AY

http://www.mikekelleyart.com/mbr_statement.php

3 comments:

  1. I really like your view on artist statements. I never really thought of it that way. Maybe because everyone I knew would tell me that an artist statement is important and necessary. I do like reading artist statements though. I don't think they are always necassary for an artist but I like to know what exactly motivates them and what they are trying to get across. I don't always notice the obvious so sometimes I need people to tell me haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah! As you say "People should be able to see those things in your work." I got same thought on this point because I think some of statements are full of unnecessary information that people aren't really care about or understand, but some reader like me (maybe like us, an artist) would love to see more info about processing of works or some special techniques. However, I wonder what my statement will be if I don't write something about those unnecessary stuffs, and I don't know long should it be. I have seen really long statement, and I don't want to read all of it. Seems I have to write some different than other people have but not too weird style one. Also, I think you found some interesting artist's statement, and I have to say this is great that I can read a lot of different statement that other classmates found. So that I can create mine statement by them as example!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH ETHAN!!! I dig the painters you researched. I like how they are both very different. I also enjoy your view on artist statements. sometimes, I do not think they necessary because artist art should speak for themselves but bios could work. Anyways, yes, good work! sorry I gave my opinion even thought no one asked. I appreciate your writing and I hope one day you're artist statement can be read by student because you are a great artist!!

    ReplyDelete